Contactlist: Moving vs. copying contacts to a group

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jan 15 20:29:52 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 16:03:14 Daniele E. Domenichelli wrote:
> On 15/01/13 15:41, Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > Two options:
> > 1) Show Dolphin-like popup menu when dropping contact into a group with
> > "Move here" and "Copy here" actions
> 2) Change the context menu to "Groups" and make the submenu to have
> checkboxes so that it's obvious that a contact can be in multiple groups.
>
> Which approach you think is better?

I would definitely go for Option 1. The drag popup menu is already used in
several KDE applications (not only Dolphin, but also Kontact and others), so
users don't need to learn anything new. Plus, as Martin already mentioned,
selecting multiple groups via context menu would be cumbersome as it would
close after each click.

> There is another couple of cases to consider:
>
> 1) the contact is already in 2 different groups and the user moves it
> from one group to another one. What should be the behaviour of the
> "Move" action? Remove it from all the groups or just from the one you
> moved it for?

Only from the one it was moved from. Why would users expect something to
change which they have not interacted with?

> 2) The contact is already in 2 different groups and the user moves it
> from one group to the other one. What should be the behaviour in this
> case? Just remove from the first group?

Hmm... At first I wanted to say "A group which the user is already a member of
should not be a valid drop target". On the other hand, this might be the only
way to remove a user from a group, so maybe removing from the first group
makes sense.

> I think you should contact the usability team about this.

You don't necessarily need to contact the usability team. At least one member
of the team is already reading this list and has just replied ;)