Contactlist: Moving vs. copying contacts to a group

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:28:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the context menu in contactlist has a "Move to group" action, which
> actually
> moves a contact to selected group. However dragging a contact to different
> groups copies the contact. I think this is not intuitive, since I would
> expect
> drag&drop to do the same as the context menu.

Agreed.

> Two options:
> 1) Show Dolphin-like popup menu when dropping contact into a group with
> "Move
> here" and "Copy here" actions

This sounds good.

> 2) Change the context menu to "Groups" and make the submenu to have
> checkboxes
> so that it's obvious that a contact can be in multiple groups.

Depends on how you want to implement this. Should the menu be persistently
displayed while checking the checkboxes, I think that would break the
context menu concept users are used to - click on an item, context menu
hides and action is triggered. Should the menu hide each time you click a
combo, that could be quite annoying to manage groups this way.

> Which approach you think is better?

Personally I'd prefer the first one. Or always move and copy only when ctrl
key is pressed.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer