KTp and Plasma Active

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jan 1 17:03:07 UTC 2013

On 01.01.2013 15:33, Artur Dębski wrote:
> Sorry for the dropbox thing. I uploaded it on my server.
>
> http://mentero.net/ktpactive/ [8]
>
> 2012/12/31 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk [9]>
>
>> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Artur Dębski <xmentero at gmail.com
>> [1]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > My name is Artur Dębski and I am a student from Poland. I am
>> doing my BSc
>> > degree at the moment and was suggested to try making KTp for
>> PlasmaActive as
>> > the graduation project. I have been talking to Dan quite a while
>> ago and he
>> > asked me to contact you guys. But as I was new to QML I wanted to
>> make some
>> > prototypes to get my feet wet first. So today I have some code
>> I'm willing
>> > to show you guys. I noticed you had some thoughts on the topic
>> [1], as well
>> > as a little mockup which I really liked. I put some personal
>> touches to the
>> > idea and started work. In the following link [2] you can get my
>> code and
>> > some screenshots. The app is not ready yet but I decided it's a
>> good time
>> > for some feedback. Please give me your opinions. QML at the
>> moment is filled
>> > with a lot of static content which I am slowly starting to
>> replace with your
>> > data. I was asked to save as much of your original code as
>> possible which
>> > sounds reasonable. I found your declarative plugins really
>> awesome and gave
>> > them a try by passing the ContactList model to my QML. I'll try
>> to play a
>> > little with your chat qml plugin next and then I guess I need to
>> try create
>> > similar tool for account management. Please ignore all of the C++
>> side at
>> > the moment. I give you my code as .zip because my remote repo is
>> hosted on
>> > bitbucket and as far as I know it only allows up to five user per
>> > repository.
>>
>> Sounds awesome. o/
>>
>> I'm currently in the process of redesigning our
>> contact-list-applet,
>> and sorting out all the declarative backends and models, so we'll
>> be
>> able to fix a lot of things very soon.
>>

>> > With all of that I am willing to wish you all Happy New Year :)
>>
>> Happy new years to you.
>>
>> > With best regars,
>> > Artur Dębski
>> >
>> > [1]
>> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-telepathy/2012-March/006044.html
>> [2]
>>
>> > [2] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1co2jqnh664e3lh/Yn4Zh0plnW [3]
>> >
>> That dropbox link takes me to a login page.
>> If you can't make it public, email me privately and I'll host it
>> somewhere for everyone to reach.

> --
> [...]

Hi Artur,
first of all: I'm really happy that you are working on this! Having a
good, well-integrated IM client for Plasma Active is very important for
us, so your work is very much appreciated by the Plasma Active project!
In case you have not heard my name yet: I am currently "the User
Experience guy" in the Plasma Active team, I am responsible for the
Plasma Active Human Interface Guidelines
(http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG) and I
consult the KTp team on UX issues as well, so there are numerous reasons
why we should work closely together.
Since many aspects of the application you are creating are not covered
by the HIGs yet (because they haven't come up in PA apps yet), KTp
Active will be a precedent for other applications. For that reason it is
even more important that we work closeley together, because the
precedent of course has to give the best example possible ;) Your
mockups look pretty nice already, I just want to make sure that the KTp
UI blens in with the rest oif Plasma Active as well as possible.
I have CC'd the Plasma Active mailing list because I think it makes
sense to work with the Plasma Active team as well as the KTp team on
both UX and technical aspects.
What means of communication works best for you? Email? IM? IRC?
Looking forward to working with you,
Thomas