KDE Telepathy Error Notifications

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 18:23:17 UTC 2013

As Martin posted a review recently I remembered I forgot to send a summary
of a discussion we had at FOSDEM.

Right now our notifications suck. Most the time they appear they're just
annoying rather than informative.
We had a talk and decided to work out what we actually wanted to happen
rather than just randomly hacking with no direction. We outlined a list of
situations where accounts can't connect/fail to connect which covers pretty
much all the categories and talked through what should happen in each case.

Terminology used below:
  not connected to network = network manager knows if you're offline
  not connected to internet = network manager thinks you're online, but
really you're not for whatever reason.
(this isn't quite accurate, but it'll do for the purposes of describing)

When trying to connect:

 - Computer not connected to network
    Don't even allow to go online. Block it in the UI and show that we are
offline.
    Supress any errors

 - Computer not connected to internet / host is down
    1 notification for all errors.

 - Hostname is wrong
    notify... (same as above)

 - Username/Password/Certifcate wrong
    Prompt for password/certificate
    Keep prompting until user hits cancel
    No notification if you hit cancel

Suddenly disconnected:
 - Computer no longer connected to the network
    Do Nothing

 - Computer no longer connected to internet / host breaks
    Try reconnecting...and then... ???