KPersons again

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 18:17:15 UTC 2012

Aleix has been working super hard on libkpeople at the moment.

I'd like to encourage people to have a play, and make sure everything
works an is stable before we progress too much.

You will need:
a working nepomuk
kde:ktp-nepomuk-service
kde:libkpeople (branch apol/queries)

There's some examples in the examples folder.
Aleix, could you explain what all the different examples do?

The plan is to hack everything together and then work out what
works/needs changing instead of constantly redesigning things that's
been happening for years. I think quite a lot may end up changing,
there's a few things in the API I'm currently questioning but the best
way to find out is to just hack things and see.

Documenting an IRC chat this week, the tasks are:
 - Make the CL use kpeople (mck182?)
 - Make the text-ui use kpeople (d_ed)
 - Make an address book based on kpeople (mck182)
 - UI for contact merging
 - Make KMail show contact onlineness/other stored information
(somehow assigned to me)

In addition, and probably a priority is I want a a mockup of the show
info dialog currently in the CL and show how how all the contact
information from all the resources will be represented. We need a
marketing hook to convince sceptics (like me) why this whole database
shenanigans is a good idea, and what additional information it can
show.

All kpeople dependencies  to existing apps will take place solely in
branches. KTp master is _not_ too be touched until everything is
deemed to be working. Other modifications and preparations (such as
phasing out use of ContactItem* etc) can happen in master.

Having said all this, priority for everyone should still be anything
in the 0.5.1 milestone, this should contain everything that _needs_ to
be fixed before the Kubuntu release.

Dave