UI overhaul

Sam Hewitt hewittsamuel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 21:48:17 UTC 2012

I'll offer my apologies then, miscommunication has definitely occurred
which I've been involved in; I just volunteered some assistance and drew a
quick mock-up of some ideas.

To address your points/questions/concerns:

I (like to think I) understand the POV of developers -I do some rudimentary
(an overstatement) development- given the code does limit design in a way.

The icons right of the entry box are indeed for emoticons and an "attach
file" icon -which I would agree isn't necessary given not all protocols
under telepathy support file transfer.

-  Btw, what's the icon to the left of "audio call" in the toolbar?

That would be a poorly drawn webcam, i.e. the video call icon.

The naming thing, personally, I'm all for generic-ism.

 - search always enabled in the chat part

The search was meant to be a contact list search for the ultra-popular
users, not a search through the backlog for the chat history.

- "if you're in a chat, do you want to see all your contacts"?

- If the only way to start a chat was via the contact list, I'd agree. If
we were completely standalone I'd agree.

I agree with this, I don't want to see them; I understand the logic of a
single window mode but I'm not a fan -contrary to the vehement of others.

- I do want to try a vertical list on the text-ui rather than the tabs for
all your ongoing chats. I think that would be a good
experiment to do and test on a group of people.

If one were to consider the vertical list in my mock-up to be simply for
all active chats, and not a complete list of contacts, then it would be
more cohesive with the ideas in motion. ;)

Regards,

Sam