Interested to work on a collaborative editor

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 08:14:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 04:50, selwyn jacob <selwynjacob90 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,

Hi,

> I'm Selwyn Jacob from India pursuing undergraduation in Computer Science.
> I have good experience with c++ and learning Qt now and I have contributed
> to several open source prjects like Melange, Scikits.image etc. You can
> have a look at some of my projets on my github --
> https://github.com/selwyn

Good stuff.

> I found this idea of collaborative editor on the Ideas page for GSoC
> really interesting and I'm very much looking forward to work on that. So
> can you please throw some light on that and what would be the best place to
> start with?

I suggest to start playing with some collaborative editors like Google
Docs, Etherpad or maybe even AbiWord and so on. Then read something on
Operational Transform (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_transformation for starters). Next
step would be reading something about Telepathy Tubes (start here
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/). Basically do a all-around research
:)

Remember that in the proposal you are supposed to show you understand what
you are going to do, providing mockups or drawings of your ideas would also
help ;)

Good luck!

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer