Google Summer of Coding 2012

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 16:55:17 UTC 2012

2012/3/19 Mikhail Krishtop <mikhailkrishtop at gmail.com>:
> Hi, guys!
>
> I want participate in Google Summer of Coding 2012 and just figuring it out
> with project ideas from KDE. Telepathy Collaborative editor seems
> interesting, but i have a couple of questions.
>
> David Edmundson wrote "This could be expanded into a collaborative version
> of basket.". So can i fork basket project as a start and extend it with
> telepathy capabilities (multi-users collaboration)? Or I need to write my
> own editor from start to end?

The more code you can re-use, the better. If you can work out how, and
identify it _in detail_ all up front that'll help your application.

> Best way, from my point of view, is to write realy simple collaborative
> editor just for explore and understand telepathy framework (because I noobe
> in it). And then fork and extend basket with collaboration feature. Am I
> right?

Unfortunately collaborative editors aren't simple - read up on
Operational Transform (see wikipedia). It's important to understand
what's going to be tricky, and how you're going to solve it, and how
long that'll take.

> Thanks for your respond.
>
> P.S.: if some one has an additional ideas that I can implement in
> collaborative editor for my GSoC application and, I hope, in my GSoC project
> itself just write them on my email.

Well part of the challenge is for you to come up with your own ideas
too, mockups, research into other collaborative editors what's good
and what's not, understand telepathy tubes, and just general all round
research.

Also it helps if you get to know our code, and we get to know you. A
lot of people apply for GSOC places, you need to show us that you're
more awesome than the rest of them.

The best way to do that is to get involved doing some junior jobs on
KDE Telepathy. It's the quickest way to prove to us you can code and
are committed to helping KDE Telepathy because you love KDE Telepathy
not because you want to work for Google. You can find a link on our
wiki page, and we're always available on #kde-telepathy.