GSoC proposal: collaborative editor

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 12:11:41 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Othmane Moustaouda
<othmane.moustaouda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello KDE Telepathy developers!
>
> My name is Othmane, I'm a Computer Science student at University of
> Ferrara in Italy,
> I'm 20 years old and currently I'm at first year undergraduate.
>
> While scrolling ideas list my attention has been attracted to the
> project in subject,
> during last years I did some little tasks (translations, ecc.) related
> to open source world, but
> I'm new to telepathy. Now I'm looking how to "get inside the code",
> reading documentation and
> also via junior jobs, now I'm working on JJ #282944 (Make the 'Now
> listening..' presence string configurable)
> I tough it's enough simple and as first step in KTelepathy it should
> help me to understand better the code :)

Absolutely perfect. That's what we tell all the new guys getting
started. It helps if we get to know you and you get to know us and our
code.

Do some research into collaborative editors, play with Ethereal,
Google Docs etc. I want to know what you think are good ideas to copy,
maybe make some of your own.
Get some ideas on what you would code, and a rough idea of "how". Also
read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_transformation, you
don't have to be an expert on it, just understand the complexities
involved in a collaborative editor. Have a read of "telepathy tubes"
Basically research around the subject a bit, do some google-ing.

When you have some ideas, email us before you submit to Melange (the
official sudent application place) with a full proposal.

Keep in touch.

We're normally about in #kde-telepathy. Including a /lot/ of other Italians 8-)

Dave