KDE Telepathy and Kubuntu

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 9 10:26:57 UTC 2012

KDE Telepathy is nicely packaged in Kubuntu (thanks to Rohan and
others) and working great for me.  So nice to see IM progressing in
KDE again.

We are still pondering if it's suitable for our forthcoming 12.04
release (due April) which is long term support so we tend to be nervous about
changing to new programmes.  I'm all for it but I have a Kubuntu dev
community to convince :)

It seems that message indicator support is a bit of a dealbreaker for
many as it is a major UI change to drop that.  Kopete and Quassel have
support for this built in which Konversation has a patch for it

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/konversation/precise/view/head:/debian/patches/message-indicator/0001-Adds-support-for-Message-Indicator.diff

a random comment:
"BTW, "Telepathy Contact List" is totally going to confuse people.  Not that "Kopete" is much better, but at least current users are used to it."

Another request is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ktp-approver/+bug/947430
"Clicking on bubbles in KDE telepathy notifications doesn't work"

There are problems a few other requets Kubuntu people have.  These are
only requests to help convince the community to change to KDE
Telepathy for 12.04.  We know you're all busy on 100 others things so
if you don't want to look at the above in the near future that's very
understandable, Kubuntu will certainly change for 12.10 anyway.

Jonathan