Season of KDE: Telephaty setup for KDE multiplayer games

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:24:05 UTC 2012

Hello Harsh,

[Adding Stefan and kde-telepathy mailing list in copy]

On 05/06/12 16:34, Harsh Sharma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for replying late,actually I was out of town and I came to home
> today only. Regarding season of kde, actually I have applied for 2
> projects. 1st is "Telepathy setup for KDE multiplayer games" and the
> other one is "KAlgebra/Analitza, improve equations support"  which is
> under mentor ship of Aleix Pol.
>
> I just saw the mail of Teo that my submission has been accepted for
> Season of KDE 2012 for the project "KAlgebra/Analitza, improve equations
> support".
>
>   But as I am interested in networking, I also want to get involved in
> the  "Telephaty setup for KDE multiplayer games".
> But I can take part in only one project as a Season of KDE student,  So
> I can work in " Telepathy setup for KDE multiplayer games" not as SoK
> student but as a contributor. What you say??

Of course you can! New contributors are always very welcome! :)

Since you have been chosen for SoK, my opinion is that you should focus
on that for this summer... You will get some experience with Qt and KDE
libraries, and you will have a mentor to help you (we can help you as
well, but at the moment we are mentoring other students, so we don't
have a lot of time)
Anyway if you have some time to spend on telepathy (either now or when
SoK is over), we can discuss about what you would like to do! You can
find us (during daytime in Europe) on IRC (#kde-telepathy on freenode)
or by email (better if you write to the mailing list, so that everyone
knows what is happening).

Stefan is libkdegames maintainer, so if you intend to add telepathy
support to some game, you should discuss with him as well.

> As this is my first time in doing any project in KDE, so I have to spent
> some time to make me familiar with the language(QT) and also I have to
> spent a lot of time in my SoK project "KAlgebra/Analitza, improve
> equations support" .
>
> So initially the work may be slow, as it will be quite difficult for me
> to work in these things all together.

No need to rush... World domination needs time :)
If you want to have an idea about how telepathy works for networking,
you can start searching "telepathy tubes" (streamtubes and dbustubes)
and having a look at the source code of kwhiteboard/kblackboard[1]

> Regards
> Harsh Sharma

Cheers,
  Daniele