Plans for 0.5 / Meeting Summary

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 11:04:30 UTC 2012

General Overview/News

1) We're awesome
2) 0.3 is already the default in Fedora, making our way into stable.
There's not been /many/ reports.
3) Was nearly pushed into LTS Kubuntu, I told them not to... as 0.4 is
kinda rubbish.
4) George G is back!

Plan for 0.5

Focus is purely on improving 0.4. No huge changes, but we need to break
quite a few parts which can't be backported. 0.5 will feature as the
default in the next Kubuntu. Kubuntu has a very very large userbase, so we
want to set a good impression as possible. Release schedule is based around
Kubuntu, but also works nicely in Fedora Report all minor bugs and fix them
as such.

Please check the TODO list:

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=144283&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&target_milestone=0.4.1&target_milestone=0.4-next&target_milestone=0.5-next&product=telepathy

Please especially check the 0.5-next milestones. I want all new features
assigned by the end of the soft feature freeze. If you don't think you can
do something - don't have it in the milestone. If I've missed something
(and I probably have) please add it.

To re-iterate the milestone plans when the hard feature freeze hits. All
features from 0.5.next are removed leaving only bugs. I make a new
milestone 0.5.0, and all bugs we target fixing in the first release of 0.5
get re-milestoned here. Bugs we can accept in 0.5.0 stay in 0.5-next.

Release Schedule

Soft Feature freeze - 11/7/2012
Hard Feature freeze - 1/8/2012
String Freeze - 10/8/2012
Release - 17/8/2012

It's a very short string freeze, but there shouldn't be many new ones. If
we email them up-front hopefully it won't be a problem. I'll also try and
get someone to review our translations up front so we don't have the mess
we had with 0.4.

What will 0.6 be?

Properly mental. We seem to have taken up even numbers are full of crazy
new stuff and take a while. odd numbers are super stable and awesome.

Other important meeting topics:
 - Given we don't support IRC very well should we officially support it?

General consensus was "no, we don't support IRC", it's a different usage
and in order to have a semi-decent IRC experience we need to add a lot more
that we simply don't have resources to do. It's a better user experience to
learn how to use a different app than to try using this.
Any bug opened about IRC should be closed with "use Konversation/Quassel",
and we will hide it in the accounts KCM.

We do, however, need to improve our support for jabber conference rooms
which has a lot of overlap, so as this gets better we will revisit this
decision in a year (next Akademy) and see if things have changed.

 - Web accounts

All web accounts are being consolidated into one KCM. Alex Fiestas is in
charge of this. There's currently working code that nicely sets up Gmail
and Facebook accounts, but this is being complicated into something far
more complicated.

We should make sure our KCM library can be used by Alex, and work with him,
but I don't see us dropping the Accounts KCM anytime soon.

 - PIMO Person stuff

Vishesh was running round excitedly about this. He can explain this better
than me. Poke him until he does.

 - Beer fund

It's all gone.