Log Viewer for 0.4

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:49:03 UTC 2012

On 19/01/12 14:24, David Edmundson wrote:
> I want a log viewer so I'm making one. Shouldn't be too hard.

\o/  David for president! \o/

> I'm because that makes things easier I'll just use TpLogger directly,
> just like the text-ui currently does.

+1

> I intend to develop it inside the text-ui git repo as I need some
> stuff from the text-ui lib which is private. Also it makes some sort
> of logical sense.

I think it would it make more sense to move the widgets that you need
(if you need just widgets) in ktp-common-internals/Widgets and create a
new repository, but do whatever you believe it is better...

> I think we should ship and maintain our own version of TpLoggerQt[1]
> as Collabora have never released anything, and it doesn't look like
> they have any intention to - also it probably needs porting to TpQt
> (rather than TpQt4).

+1! Let's fork... or even better we could ask Mateu Batle to release it
on kde git.

> If you'd rather the project used nepomuk/akonadi/etc feel free to make
> something else, I won't compete if you do, but you have to actually
> start making something and not just endlessly talk about it.

I think that this will add a lot of complexity to the logger, since it
won't be just text but a lot more...
I'd rather have something like a conversation viewer that shows a list
of all the conversations and when one is chosen shows the right viewer,
in telepathy case your log viewer...
Moreover this is something that is really missing at this time, and it
is the only thing missing to have a real fully featured im system.

By the way, unrelated to the topic, some users complain that they cannot
import the history from kopete, I don't care about importing accounts
and metacontacts, but I was wondering if we should write a script to
import at least the logs into telepathy-logger.
What do you think?

Daniele