Setting sane defaults

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 14:20:37 UTC 2012

2012/2/17 Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>:
> Hey all,
>
> I'd like to change some default settings in ktp based on Fedora packagers
> input. Mainly these three:
>
> 1) Open contact list when clicking presence plasmoid by default
>     -- currently it does "Do nothing"
>     -- 1a) - remove this option altogether - choices are "Do nothing", "Open
> contact list", "Open accounts manager" -- imho it does not make much sense
> to open accounts manager from systray presence controlling applet. Besides
> this option is in the context menu as well. So my proposal is - remove this
> "what to do on click" option and default to open contact list.
>
>From my POV I only use contact list from the plasmoid.  Change it.

> 2) Use compact delegate in contact list. It just looks better.

I spent my time doing all the padding on the compact list, so +1 from me.

> 3) Use KDE's Download dir for file transfer and remove this option from kcm.
> This was a suggestion and I personally have no strong feelings either way.
> The rationale is being that you already set Download dir in Account Details
> -> Paths, so it's quite redundant. Obviously you might want to save your FT
> files elsewhere so...I just don't know.

It should definitely default to the same directory, but removing the
option just seems silly. It's tucked away in a relevant KCM, not
bothering a user unless they look for it. It allows a bit more
flexibility and not really at any cost so I don't see any reason to
remove it.