Plasmoid presence setting and displaying

Francesco Nwokeka francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com
Sat May 28 01:17:12 CEST 2011

On Saturday 28 May 2011 00:56:37 Lukas wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Yeah we found your idea (almost by accident, but still found). And it looks
> really good :)
>
> I'm sticking with two vertically separated parts, but that's mostly because
> it makes it more consistent with other systray plasmoids (like network
> manager). But it doesn't mean it's a must.
>
> Anyone should be able to have edit access - http://bit.ly/lrDO8S
I like the error messages in the left panel.

> Can we assume considering having different statuses for individual accounts
> (as well as problems with connecting to individual accounts) as an *
> exceptions*? Basically it means this functionality must be, but not
> designed (and placed) for average Joe.
>
> As for icon-only view - the 80% of my contacts has they pictures attached
> to at least one of the accounts. But for the remaining 20%, there should
> be way to display names too.* How about showing only top 2-3 contacts
> expanded with full names* (the remaining only with icons). I user filters
> by name, there will be less than 2-4 accounts with the same name, so
> everyone will be expanded :)
We're talking about the "PRESENCE" plasmoid, not the contactlist plasmoid. They're two DIFFERENT
plasmoids. The contactlist plasmoid will be developed as soon as I get the presence finished and the
first release of kde-telepathy out. And don't worry about contact visualization, we have many ideas
in plan for it.

> -----
>
> *What if we added a "!" icon to the plasmoiod in the systray? If tha
> plasmoid were to be used on the
> desktop there would be no problem because the status i visible. But if it
> were in a tray we could
> have an icon called "kde-telepathy-warning" where we have a "!" to notify
> the user that something's
> wrong. What do you say?*
>
> Or can we have icon color changed to red or rotating animation on top
> (similar to one in notifications then we copy files)
> Since it would be great message counter next to the icon, and "!" might
> take that precious space.
I think we'll stick to different colored icons for status as I'm keen on going only global (for
status). So red = busy, green = online etc...

> P.S. Since telepathy is integrated in address book, does it mean, that we
> could also send EMAILS form this plasmoid (treating email just as dummy IM
> client or similar)?
This will be in the contactlist plasmoid

> P.P.S I found damn nice animation, that could be used on filtering
> contacts. Take a look http://isotope.metafizzy.co/
> <http://isotope.metafizzy.co/%20>
Wonderful. I'll definatly take some ideas for the contact plasmoid from here :D