Plasmoid presence setting and displaying

Francesco Nwokeka francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com
Fri May 27 18:03:08 CEST 2011

On Friday 27 May 2011 12:12:09 David Edmundson wrote:
> 2011/5/27 Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>
>
> > 2011/5/27 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>

> >> Nwoki did you see how the old plasmoid worked? there was an entry for
> >> each account then one for "All accounts". Not sure how this could work
> >> for the contact list. I don't really like having a mix.
> >>
> >> There are two questions to deal with when it comes to global presence:
> >>    How do we decide which is the 'current' presence to show to a user.
> >>
> >>    What would we do if I set one account to 'away' and then all of them
> >>
> >> 'available' does the first one change?
> >>
> >> Personally I'm all for connecting them to the same global presence and
> >> getting rid of per-account statuses. What sort of nutter would claim to
> >> be away in one place but not another, but if you take away the options
> >> some users will complain loudly. Users love complaining.

> >> Not in this release - we have no mechanism to store extra metadata on an
> >> account (and there's no point making one till the nepomuk stuff comes in
> >> in the summer).
> >>
> >> Also how would this work from a UI point of view, in the contact list
> >> having one button for every account except Facebook, and then one button
> >> for Facebook on it's own...I can't picture it in a non-confusing way.
> >>
> >> Empathy gets by simply by having the global presence and being able to
> >> "disable" accounts.
> >
> > I was thinking about that - I propose an option to either show a global
> > presence setting or per account setting in contact list. So instead of
> > all those buttons, there would be a drop-down menu. This should be
> > rather easy to do so. I think.
>
> +1 from me.
>
> Only thing to consider is that if we put all the accounts online and one of
> them failed due to a wrong password or network etc., we need a way to see
> it. So far the only method is the account buttons.

What if we added a "!" icon to the plasmoiod in the systray? If tha plasmoid were to be used on the
desktop there would be no problem because the status i visible. But if it were in a tray we could
have an icon called "kde-telepathy-warning" where we have a "!" to notify the user that something's
wrong. What do you say?

This way we could go with global presence and have our nice set of icons for the presence status