Plasmoid presence setting and displaying

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri May 27 11:50:03 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Francesco Nwokeka <
francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 May 2011 17:00:32 Lukas wrote:
> > Unified setting is the best.
> Depends. How I see it, it's the easiest. But yeah, if I have more than one
> account, I might want to
> go online all at once. With this solution we could solve the problem for
> status reading "on-the-fly"
> by changing the taskbar icon (don't know if that's possible with
> plasmoids).
> But what if I want to go online with just one account?

Nwoki did you see how the old plasmoid worked? there was an entry for each
account then one for "All accounts". Not sure how this could work for the
contact list. I don't really like having a mix.

There are two questions to deal with when it comes to global presence:
   How do we decide which is the 'current' presence to show to a user.

   What would we do if I set one account to 'away' and then all of them to
'available' does the first one change?

Personally I'm all for connecting them to the same global presence and
getting rid of per-account statuses. What sort of nutter would claim to be
away in one place but not another, but if you take away the options some
users will complain loudly. Users love complaining.

> > If someone want to hide from any specific network, he could create
> > exception rules in the config wizzard (like checking - do not use global
> > status, always use the one i typed bellow). That's it, funny mesages wont
> > be displayed on work account :)

Not in this release - we have no mechanism to store extra metadata on an
account (and there's no point making one till the nepomuk stuff comes in in
the summer).

Also how would this work from a UI point of view, in the contact list having
one button for every account except Facebook, and then one button for
Facebook on it's own...I can't picture it in a non-confusing way.

Empathy gets by simply by having the global presence and being able to
"disable" accounts.