New ideas for the presence plasmoid

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:45:31 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 15:40, Francesco Nwokeka <
francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys!
>        I'm writing to talk to you about an idea[1] given by Lukas on my
> blog.

Very nice mockup! Say thank you to him :P

> As you can see in his
> mokup he divided the panel into two parts. On the left my plasmoid (sort
> of) and on the right a
> panel displaying the last conversations with the user's contacts.
>
> Let's take a look at the right panel.
>
> What I would like to do with this panel is display the last line of text
> sent by a contact. No need
> for titles. Only the contact avatar + last message would be displayed. Next
> to that a "reply"
> button. If the user clicks the "reply" button, a text-chat-ui will open up
> with that user and the
> notification in the presence plasmoid would dissapear.

As for the avatar only - don't forget you can have people with no avatars or
(less likely though) people with same avatars, in that case, you need to
make distinction between those. Also it would be cool if you could reply
in-place. Sort of quick-reply and next to that text-edit would be a button
for full conversation window.

> The approver wouldn't need to change as it only shows the last message in a
> notification area and
> asks the user if he/she wants to start a conversation. If the approver
> isn't clicked, this message
> will be stored in a data-engine that acts as a textobserver listing the
> last lines sent by a contact
> for all the user's accounts.

If the history will be stored in Nepomuk, there's no need for a textobserver
as you can get the data directly from Nepomuk.

> What do you guys say? Any observations? Further ideas?

Go for it!

--Marty