[KDE Usability] A couple of HIG questions regarding KDE Telepathy

Lukas 1lukas1 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 14:42:27 CEST 2011

Why not to indent by e.g. 10px + bold the current status.

Right, the only issue with going with this solution being that if
> someone has the regular font and the bold font both set to bold, it
> might cause a issue, but this actually is the best solution of all the
> suggestions mentioned previously.

But actually none should use default font set as bold. If some relay wants
to get it bold, find the one that looks bold in the normal form, and has the
bold version (even if bolder means not bold in his case, since making it
even bolder makes it insane). Not being able to use bold as an UI element,
its just too important from typography point of view, to just though it out
because 0.01% of users likes playing with configs...

2011/5/3 Rohan Garg <rohan16garg at gmail.com>

> Hi
> I've been working on improving the usability of KDE Telepathy a bit
> and recently made a couple of changes as to how one can set the IM
> Status.I'm attaching a image of my work, the image on the left
> represents the older GUI whereas the the one on the right shows the
> newer GUI [ yes, my GIMP skills are bad ;) ]
>
> Now, the main issue i am facing is that after i remove the radio
> buttons ( which in my opinion make the UI look cluttered ), how do i
> represent to the user that his current IM Status is, say Online? We
> discussed a couple of scenarios on IRC, like making the current status
> as Bold/Italics, or using a tick mark next to the current status,
> using a different highlight color etc but none of the ideas were
> satisfactory and had one issue or the other.
>
> Any ideas on how to do this would be highly appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Rohan Garg
> www.launchpad.net/~rohangarg <http://www.launchpad.net/%7Erohangarg>

Pagarbiai,