[KDE Usability] Re: A couple of HIG questions regarding KDE Telepathy

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sat May 7 12:44:40 CEST 2011

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 11:40, Rohan Garg <rohangarg at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Aurélien
>
> <snip>
> > If you want to get rid of those radio buttons, I would personally go for
> > using a bold font, the other options are not good because:
> > - Italics can be hard to read
> > - A tick mark would break the vertical alignment of the status (although
> > a mockup of that would help to make a more informed opinion)
> > - A different highlight color is very hard to get right on all possible
> > color schemes.
> >

> Right, the only issue with going with this solution being that if
> someone has the regular font and the bold font both set to bold, it
> might cause a issue, but this actually is the best solution of all the
> suggestions mentioned previously.

I'm still not too happy about using bold font. Try making a screenshot so we
can have a look.

> > Two not-completely-related suggestions:
> >
> > 1. Right now the "Set message..." entry looks a bit like a header for
> > the different status. I think it should be either moved back to the
> > bottom of the menu, or a separator should be inserted below it.
> >

> I was actually thinking of making this a KAction that says "Set custom
> status" and then when you click on it, it changes to a KLineEdit where
> you can set the message.

I once had an idea, which would add the KLineEdit below the selected
presence. So you'd click your desired presence and it would immediately add
the KLE below that with focus, so you could type your message. But that's
not too user friendly and it's rather hidden, so users might not know about
it and might look elsewhere for that.

As for the changing KAction into KLE...may be cool. If you make it work
without menu resizing etc ;) And you'd have to still use the separator.

> > 2. Grouping related status would improve readability IMO. Something like
> > this:
> >
> > [@] rohan16g...mail.com
> > [/Set message.../     ]
> > -----------------------
> > ( ) Available
> > ( ) Be right back
> > -----------------------
> > ( ) Busy
> > ( ) Do not disturb
> > ( ) Away
> > -----------------------
> > ( ) Extended Away
> > ( ) Invisible
> > ( ) Offline
> >
> > Note that I reordered statuses a bit: I may be wrong, but I feel "Be
> > right back" is closer to "Available" than "Away", and "Away" is closer
> > to "Offline" than "Busy" and "Do not disturb". Icons should probably be
> > adjusted as well, but I guess the Oxygen icons would need to be renamed.
> >
> > (I also think there are too many possible statuses, but that's probably
> > enough for now)
> >
> I quite like this idea! and as for too many possible statuses, any
> proposed solution?

Regarding the "too many possible statuses" - that is actually true, because
not every IM network supports all of these anyway. I think there is already
a bug filed about this. For now I think we could implement it like this, but
we should work on the detection of supported presences. Collabora guys - how
do we actually do that? (I haven't checked the docs yet). After we have done
that, we'll probably have to revisit this idea.

--Marty