[KDE Usability] Re: A couple of HIG questions regarding KDE Telepathy

Rohan Garg rohangarg at ubuntu.com
Sat May 7 11:40:58 CEST 2011

Hi Aurélien

<snip>
> If you want to get rid of those radio buttons, I would personally go for
> using a bold font, the other options are not good because:
> - Italics can be hard to read
> - A tick mark would break the vertical alignment of the status (although
> a mockup of that would help to make a more informed opinion)
> - A different highlight color is very hard to get right on all possible
> color schemes.

Right, the only issue with going with this solution being that if
someone has the regular font and the bold font both set to bold, it
might cause a issue, but this actually is the best solution of all the
suggestions mentioned previously.

> Two not-completely-related suggestions:
>
> 1. Right now the "Set message..." entry looks a bit like a header for
> the different status. I think it should be either moved back to the
> bottom of the menu, or a separator should be inserted below it.

I was actually thinking of making this a KAction that says "Set custom
status" and then when you click on it, it changes to a KLineEdit where
you can set the message.

> 2. Grouping related status would improve readability IMO. Something like
> this:
>
> [@] rohan16g...mail.com
> [/Set message.../     ]
> -----------------------
> ( ) Available
> ( ) Be right back
> -----------------------
> ( ) Busy
> ( ) Do not disturb
> ( ) Away
> -----------------------
> ( ) Extended Away
> ( ) Invisible
> ( ) Offline
>
> Note that I reordered statuses a bit: I may be wrong, but I feel "Be
> right back" is closer to "Available" than "Away", and "Away" is closer
> to "Offline" than "Busy" and "Do not disturb". Icons should probably be
> adjusted as well, but I guess the Oxygen icons would need to be renamed.
>
> (I also think there are too many possible statuses, but that's probably
> enough for now)

I quite like this idea! and as for too many possible statuses, any
proposed solution?

Regards
Rohan Garg