Adding/Approving/Removing Contacts

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 23:38:30 CEST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM, George Goldberg <
grundleborg at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 31 March 2011 22:18, George Kiagiadakis <kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 12:07 AM, George Goldberg
> > <grundleborg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> However, is the approver actually running all the time? Or is it DBus
> >> activated when needed?
> >
> > Currently, neither. However, it should be activated when needed. As I
> > think of it, whatever component sets accounts online/offline (be it
> > the contact list, the presence plasmoid, or whatever else) should be
> > responsible for activating and deactivating the approver. This can be
> > done by calling kded methods over dbus:
> >
> > $ qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule telepathy_kde_approver
> > $ qdbus org.kde.kded /kded unloadModule telepathy_kde_approver
>
> This worries me a bit. There's going to be all manner of different
> presence plasmoids and other apps using telepathy in future, and I
> don't think we can realistically expect them to take care of starting
> the approver. Perhaps it could be started as part of a KDE session? Or
> it could be a KDED module?
>
> It is a KDED Module, only one started on demand rather than on startup (I
believe that's a 1 line change in a .desktop file, though don't know for
sure.)

Is there protection for loading twice? and can it unload itself?
If so the logic gets pretty simple. All code that turns an account online,
starts the module, and that's it.

I had thought it ran on startup as opposed to on demand. Are there any
downsides besides the ever so slight overhead?