Adding/Approving/Removing Contacts

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 31 23:07:47 CEST 2011

2011/3/31 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>:
> One of the outstanding features left before our first release is the adding
> and approving of contacts.
> The main issue is the "who (which component) is responsible for doing this".
> I want to discuss this on the ML as I don't feel enough stuff is being
> discussed/announced at present.
> I think "add contact" should go in the contact list, as it makes sense to
> open that to alter your contacts. Same for removing them.

+1

> The issue is "approving contacts" (or to use the correct
> term presencePublicationRequested) when someone else adds you. Telepathy is
> always running and you may be signed in regardless of whether you have the
> contact list open. In this happens someone needs to notify the user of this
> event.

Yeah, this is indeed a tricky problem.

> I was discussing with George K that this should go into the approver, it's
> always running all the time and communicates via KNotify. It seems a
> sensible choice (even the name fits)
> Does anyone object to adding this functionality into the KDE approver?

This is probably the best place. Thinking out loud here, but:
approving added contacts is something specific to the KDE Workspace
(as in another workspace you might have another app for it). The
approver is also specific to the KDE workspace, so it makes sense to
be done in the approver for that reason. Also, the approver is already
there running as a daemon part of the session, so makes sense to be
there again.

However, is the approver actually running all the time? Or is it DBus
activated when needed?

Also, in order to get these invite signals, do we need to have any
channels open? Or can the daemon which does it just watch the Account
Manager, and whenever there is a connected account, connect to the
appropriate signals to be notified when someone adds us?

--
George