[GSoC]Integration of kde-telepathy into the Plasma Workspace

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 16:00:19 CEST 2011

On Thursday 31 March 2011 15:33:16 Francesco Nwokeka wrote:
> Absolutley not discouraged at all. Here is more info about my ideas. The
> following will be integrated into my previous proposal. You'll find that I
> haven't put down a timeline yet. I'm waiting for your ok and to have the
> final proposal before setting that.

TBH, what you have done here below is not really what George asked: to
evaluate your project in more detail, we need to know what you plan to do
purely code-wise. It is good that you wrote such detailed design decisions and
use cases, but it is not what you need at this stage.

You need something a little more focused, like that:

Plasmoid 1:

 - I will implement it in QML using KDeclarative
 - Development will require creating 6 QML components
 - I will need to fix/add x and y in telepathy-whatever to do so
 - I will need to code a dataengine

Not only this would be what we are looking for, but it will allow you to
create a timeline more easily (and at that stage, we'll be able to help you
with that too).

More than that, what you wrote seems solid, except a small part:

> Here is another draft for my GSoC proposal as requested hoping to be able
> to explain myself better and satify all curiosities.
> I first came up with the QML integration idea around my first week in
> kde-telepathy as the guys were thinking about something new to bring to
> the chat. As this is a new project, quite young and open to new ideas I
> thought to myself, "why not?" and came up with the plasma integration
> ideas explained in my previous mails [1].
> So I intend to stick with this proposal for I see it as something that can
> change things for KDE and the way to use instant messaging.
>
> In this mail I will explain, as requested, how I intend to work on my
> project.
>
> [snip]
>
> Contact: this plasmoid will be made to rappresent a single contact. It will
> be interactable and the normal contact ations ( initiate chat, file
> trasnfer, call ) will be available. For this plasmoid it will be possible
> to customize it's information layout as with the ContactList::Listview
> plasmoid thus giving the user full power over the plasmoid. These
> plasmoids will be crated by an appropriate action from the contact list
> plasmoid or by drag-n- drop from the contact list to the desktop.

There is one point which is not really clear to me: you said ContactList would
be able to drag a single contact out of it and onto the desktop. Would this
mean that upon d'n'd Plasma should recognize the contact which is being
dropped and create a new Contact applet? If that is the case, some of these
things should be done in a Containment or even in the Corona level.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B