On the presence applet

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:32:38 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 30 March 2011 16:23:05 David Edmundson wrote:
> 2011/3/30 Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com>
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > as David asked me, I am sharing some of the plans I had for the applet,
> > given
> > that a lot of time has passed since we started thinking about it.
> >
> > Let's clear out the nerdy details:
> >  - It will be a pure QML applet, to be future-proof and consistent with
> >
> > where
> > Plasma is going
> >
> >  - The dataengine which should back it up is almost ready and is in
> >  master - It will be implemented as a popupapplet meant to sit in the
> >  tray
> >
> > Let's see what we wanted the applet to do, and let's try to get the ideas
> > together. A mockup of what I intend to present as a main interface is
> > here: http://i.imgur.com/q8myz.png
> > In my clone, instead, you can find a working qml mockup+a semi working
> > proto
> > applet in QML which illustrates how the presence selector works
> >
> > The idea is that what you see can be changed: presence, nickname, status
> > and
> > avatar, just by clicking on them. As soon as you click on something, the
> > field
> > will change into a lineedit which lets you enter the desired value.
> >
> > A possibile different option is to have an "edit" button, which flips the
> > applet and provides all the line edits and stuff.
> >
> > Any further ideas/objections?
> >
> > Thanks for writing this.
>
> A few questions:
>
> Have you lost the ability to set (in the UI, not the dataengine) to set
> presence per account?

Nope - ideally, there will be a way for "expanding" the plasmoid to show
details for each and every account (which is also what happens in the current
applet). I'm just trying to find a way for making this pretty :)

> I imagine the plasmoid spending a lot of time in the panel (which is where
> mine sits) as quick access purely for setting online/offline. How do you
> envisage this looking and acting?

2 ways:

1. User left-clicks on the plasmoid, left clicks on the presence, left clicks
on the chosen presence
2. User right-clicks on the plasmoid, menu pops up, user chooses Presence-