[GSoC]Integration of kde-telepathy into the Plasma Workspace

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 29 17:39:46 CEST 2011

On 29 March 2011 16:36, Francesco Nwokeka <francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Document collaboration: an "invite" will be sent from one user to another. A
> new component will have to be created and integrated into kde-telepathy to
> allow users to work on the same document at the same time

Document collaboration is probably about 6 months work just to get the
basics alone done. You are talking about it here as if it is something
trivial that can be done in a few days.

> Shared folders: the user will have the possibility to create a shared folder
> per client. Dropbox style

Is this supported at the Telepathy Connection Manager level? I don't
believe it is, so you'd need to investigate that, and maybe implement
it. Again, this is probably an entire summer of code project on it's
own.

> KDE-games: an "invite to game" action will be created for every kde-game the
> user has installed on his/her computer ( as i think they all support online
> gaming ) and an invite will be sent. If the recieving contact doesn't have
> the requested game a response will be sent back telling the user that che
> contact is missing the game

Likewise - kdegames integration with telepathy would make an entire
project in itself.

>> > click away so instead of opening a contact list and searching for the
>
>> > contact, all the user has to do is click on the desktop plasmoid.
>

>> > There will also be the possibility to group these contact-plasmoids in
>
>> > custom groups defined by the user to satisfy his/her needs and with a
>
>> > grouping method which best suits him/her. All this in a lightweight
>
>> > plasmoid that will be designed not to be invasive and not to clutter the
>
>> > workspace.
>

>> > To be able to satisfy the previously described features, the following
>
>> > need to be met ( also included in my project ) :
>

>> > * implement a collaboration feature for kde-telepathy
>

>> What does this mean?
>
> Using Telepathy tubes I was thinking of creating a component in
> kde-telepathy able to handle collaboration between two users for the same
> document

How? You need to give details, not just a wishlist of ideas.
Otherwise, how do we know that you are up to the task?

Please don't be discouraged by this. You just need to be a little more
focused, and maybe pick just one of these tasks to work on. You also
need to go into a lot more detail about *how* you intend to implement
it.

--
George