A pre-pre-release of KDE Telepathy

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 11 14:28:04 CET 2011

2011/3/11 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>:
> Hi all,
> As you may be aware the new contact list is in the process of being reviewed
> to be moved back into master. It's currently mid-way through review process.
> I want to talk about what I want to do with KDE Telepathy, unfortunately
> this is slighlty controversial so here goes:
> I want to make a pre-pre-release of KDE Telepathy _without_ metacontacts and
> nepomuk integration.

You'll be pleased to hear that I fully agree with this idea :)

> At the current rate we're on target to get an early working release out in
> Early May - with enough feedback on that to get a better release alongside
> KDE 4.7.
> I'm not saying anything bad about the KDE lib, or nepomuk integration
> daemon, only that it isn't ready yet. Even if it was worked on solidly when
> George gets out of his exams with time for building, the extended testing
> and updating all our components will slip everything back by 3 months.

Agreed.

> It's my belief that if we did wait we'll lose the current momentum and worse
> still some of our new devs who are pretty awesome. There's no shame in
> adding it in later.

Agreed. However, I'd like to add one condition to this to get my
approval, which is: let's not forget the real vision of this project
in the rush to get a release out - remember we're not trying to make
another Kopete or Pidgin, but we're trying to do something new and
better. We're trying to make communication and collaboration something
which is everywhere - a core part of other applications and the
workspace, not a standalone IM client program. If releasing a
Telepathy based IM program first to get something out the door and get
some feedback to build upon is the best way of getting this vision
underway, then +1 from me (and, from observing recent goings-on in KDE
Telepathy I'd say that this the right thing to do).

--
George