A simple request from a simple guy

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:58:05 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 17:31, Francesco Nwokeka <francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello to all devs!
>        I'm new to telepathy so let me introduce myself. I'm an
> anglo-italian( can you say that? )
> student from Italy and I'm currently finishing my studies at the university
> of Padova ( software
> developer ).
> I'm writing to tell you about a problem that doesn't affect me alone, but
> all those people who want
> to contribute to a project that's already started and quite big.
>
> This problem is getting to know the code. The eyes of a new contributor are
> different from those of
> the devs who started the project. We "new ones" have to get to know how the
> data is handled, which
> classes do what and so on. This problem can be avoided with well commented
> code. Even little things
> help so that instead of reading the whole function, you can eaisily tell
> what a certain function
> does by simply reading its comment.

Fair enough. The question is, where should be the method comments? I'd vote
for the .cpp file, because sometimes I just want to open the header file and
have a quick look at what methods it provide, in this case, the comments are
getting in the way.

What do you think? Comment methods in implementation and the important rest,
which is only in header, comment in header (enums etc).

Marty