Common stuff repository

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 15:49:45 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM, George Goldberg
<grundleborg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 23 June 2011 09:39, Daniele E. Domenichelli
> <daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 06/23/2011 01:14 AM, Daniele E. Domenichelli wrote:
>>> Since I believe that none of the components is "required" I propose to
>>> create a "telepathy-common" or "telepathy-data" repository to install
>>> the common knotify file. Note that this shouldn't be the same repository
>>> for the library, since I believe that components that won't require the
>>> library (if there will be any) may require this to be installed.
>>

>> Another option is to have a "main" repository to store all the common
>> stuff and that fetches all the other components as git submodules with a
>> build system that allows to choose which component download, build and
>> install.
>
> Let's not get carried away here. We need to solve this in the context
> of how KDE-Telepathy is going to fit into the KDE main modules once it
> finally lands there.
>
> telepathy-kde, which contains the library with all the code shared
> amongst our applications will become a part of kdelibs (or a KDE
> Framework or whatever kdelibs will be called by then). This means that
> any of the rest of KDE-Telepathy *will* depend on it. Therefore it
> will be a safe place to put anything which all or many of the other
> components depend on. For the first release, I'd suggest putting stuff
> in the contactlist temporarily since we have already decided that the
> contact list will be a required component just in the first release.
>
> --
> George

I think George is right that from future builds we can just dump this
crap in the library, enough parts of KDE Tp will depend on it, that
it's probably a safe bet.

As for now, I don't really give a crap, I'd do whatever is quickest so
we can actually release this thing. I think realistically any tester
is going to install everything. If they don't, they're an idiot and
it's their fault.

If it turns out a separate repo /is/ the way to go, we can always move
in the future. I think it possibly is worth discussing/considering in
the future, but not worth the time now.

Dave