kde-telepathy features for usage in KDE Plasma Educational Desktop GSoC

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 03:11:23 CEST 2011

I think we need to help summaries what Telepathy is, to help answer
your questions.

Telepathy is simply an abstraction layer for all types of IM accounts,
Yahoo/Jabber/MSN etc.
Telepathy supports the stuff they support.

It also has (the part relevant to you) something called Tubes. This
can create a direct connection between the two parties of the IM chat.
There are two types of tubes. StreamTubes, and DbusTubes. The first is
a raw TCP connection, the latter a P2P Dbus Session.

So to answer your questions specifically:

1) Presence detection, so that the teacher knows that the students
have not disconnected themselves from the Classroom LAN and are not
being naughty!

Yep, we use this all the time - in contact lists and such.

2) Exchange of XMPP data to and fro ....mainly so that the student
machines can read configuration from teacher machine, and provide
results to the teacher machine

You don't exchange "XMPP data". We can set up a TCP or DBus connection
and you can push your stuff to/from that. (this is actually a lot
easier than dealing with all the XMPP yourself)

3) The student machines must be able to authenticate with the teacher
machines!(Does kde-teleapthy  provide some way for doing this? apart
from each student using poplar IM services like Google Talk....)

Use a popular IM service like Google Talk :-)

4) Can kde-teleplathy connect any 2 KDE applications  using XMPP for
exchange of messages.

Again saying Xmpp is a bit confusing, telepathy abstracts above that.
We can connect 2 KDE applications.

5) Stability of kde-telepathy and XMPP based connections?

KDE Telepathy is damn stable, as is Telepathy-Qt4 (the library you'll
primarily be dealing with
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/telepathy-qt4/classes.html).
However there isn't much of a client side library for the KDE parts,
so you'll have to copy and paste some code for now.

As for tubes, there is some changes towards a higher level API which
I'm not sure about. I think it's fairly stable, we have a working VNC
client that shares over telepathy. You certainly don't have many well
documented examples to work with.

You'll need some changes from us I'm sure, but mostly minor.