Respond directly to incoming chats

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:56:33 CEST 2011

2011/7/12 Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 18:52, Lasath Fernando <kde at lasath.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm.. I was beginning to think we shouldn't replace KNotification
>> completely. Because then we'd be losing a lot of functionality
>> (stacking notifications, being able to see past notifications etc).
>
> Truth is you'd loose it in the sense that your chat notification history
> wouldn't be with the rest of the notifications, but in a separate plasmoid.
> Question is - is this good or bad thing?
> Since you'd have the whole chat history in that plasmoid, I say it's a good
> thing to have the IM separated from the rest of the notifications.
>

>> Perhaps we can patch KNotification to allow us to put a custom
>> notification widget in there?
>
> That's also a way, I wonder what the plasma team would have to say about
> this....should we CC them?

With the desktop summit only a couple of weeks away, I reckon we
should carry on considering the different possibilities and
advantages/disadvantages here and then go track down some plasma
big-shots in person at the summit and not leave them alone until we
have a solution that is satisfactory to both teams' visions of how
things should be done, and most importantly, get it implemented
straight away (including any changes to plasma or knotification that
might be decided on).

This is just the kind of problem the summit is ideal for dealing with.

--
George