Advice for a student who wants to contribute in KDE-Telepathy source code / Furkan T.

Furkan T furkan._t at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 27 23:43:37 CET 2011

Hi,

I'm a student who wants to participate in Google's Summer of Code, I'm really interested for contributing in the kde-telepathy and I've some questions that I would be grateful if the developers could answer. I wanted to know if I've to be very very good at C++ and Qt to be able to work on this project ? (I've been learning C++ for sometime now, but I'm not very advanced and I don't have a lot of experience, actually one of the reasons I want to work on this project is to get more experience, and I've never worked with Qt before but I'm trying to learn it) I've downloaded the source code and I'm trying to build it (actually I've problem compiling some of them, but I'm working on it to fix it). And from what I see, kde is a very big project and each part is considered like a module, so basically I don't have to know all the other parts to be able to work on this project, am I right ? I see that there are some bugs to fix and some junior jobs todo on the bugs.kde.org, I've also read the ideas list for the kde-telepathy, what are some advices you could give me ? Where should I start ?

Thanks in advance.