Advanced Options in the Accounts KCM

Lasath Fernando kde at lasath.org
Thu Feb 17 01:19:19 CET 2011

> If that's really so unnecessary, can we just hide the button and make it
> appear only if a global "Enable advanced telepathy configuration"
> checkbox (+ tooltip and a scary warning when you click it that say that
> you're going to break it) is enabled?

I considered having an option to enable more options, but I dismissed
it because it would over-complicate things (and partially for the
irony).

> Or maybe we can have a hidden configuration key to set on the config
> file editing it by hand.
> And when the button is shown, it can be exactly as it is now, because
> who is going to use it won't bother about being unintuitive and inefficient!

That would be a pain in the butt. Also, it would mean that empathy
would be more configurable than telepathy-kde.
And the day GNOME becomes more easily configurable than KDE, mankind
will weep! ;)

There are lot of people (me included) that always like to have a quick
glance at any advanced options available (In this case it wouldn't
serve much purpose, but it's a force of habit I guess). So, while the
advanced button shouldn't draw too much attention to itself, it also
shouldn't send the user out of their way too much when clicked. Often
a user will want to go back quickly.