Advanced Options in the Accounts KCM

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 00:02:40 CET 2011

On 02/16/2011 07:03 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Lasath Fernando <kde at lasath.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> This is really my first time writing to the Mailing List, so bear with
>> me if I say the wrong things ;)
>>
>> The reason I'm writing is because of the way advanced options are
>> displayed in the Accounts KCM. Once the Advanced button is clicked on
>> the edit accounts dialogue, it promptly opens *another* dialogue with
>> the advancedOptionsWidget. Personally, I think this is unintuitive,
>> and inefficient as this dialogue not only obscures the basic options,
>> but it also means the user has to press two buttons to apply their
>> changes.
>
> My main argument for turning it into the current system (with the dialog) is
> that advanced options should get out the way, because hardly anyone ever
> needs to change them. (if lots of people do need to change it, it shouldn't
> be under advanced). Personally I don't think anyone will need to click the
> advanced button except hard-core nutters who want to break their accounts,
> so I don't really care about the dialog.

If that's really so unnecessary, can we just hide the button and make it
appear only if a global "Enable advanced telepathy configuration"
checkbox (+ tooltip and a scary warning when you click it that say that
you're going to break it) is enabled?
Or maybe we can have a hidden configuration key to set on the config
file editing it by hand.
And when the button is shown, it can be exactly as it is now, because
who is going to use it won't bother about being unintuitive and inefficient!

Cheers,
 Daniele