What should be in the contact list

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 23:26:21 CET 2011

2011/2/9 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>

> Martin seems to be doing an awesome job on the contact list, but I feel we
> need to discuss what should actually be in the contact list, and maybe
> divide up some tasks to get things done quicker/give new people something to
> do. Some of the dialogs/actions (such as add a contact) can easily be
> developed outside of the contact list, and then merged in at any point, so
> we can get a few more people working simultaneously.
>
> So to get the list started:
>  - Super sexy model delegates to match how we designed the core parts of
> the contact list.
> Martin has the photos from the Sprint and is making a start on this.

If anyone knows QPainter/delegates, I could use your advices here and there,
otherwise I've got this covered ;)

>  - Some way of adding a new contact.
>
>  - A dialog for editing your "personal information", (alias, the XMPP
> contact information)
> I like how empathy does this with the dialog. I can't think of anything
> better.

Yes, these two are pretty easy tasks and would be great if anybody would
like work on them. As David said, these can be integrated/merged back at any
time. The question is, should this go through the k-lib or be implemented
directly using tp-qt? (In fact, I still quite don't know, what all features
the lib will provide and which I should implement myself..?)

>  - A way of joining rooms
> Ideally like Empathy which can query room lists, rather than my previous
> simple text box. I've seen the Tp-Qt4 API documentation on  doing this.
>
> -- below are some more controversial thoughts.
>
> - A text filter for contacts?

Not always visible would be great. I'd like to keep the CL window as simple
(and clear) as possible, so it won't end up crowded with widgets. I like the
way Dolphin implements this - you press Ctrl+I, a filter bar appears at the
bottom with focus, you start typing etc. That would be great.

> - A way of selecting your current presence?
>  (slightly controversial, given we have a plasmoid, but I can see plenty of
> reasons to have it in the contact list as well. It'd be a bit clearer. I
> don't think it goes away from desktop integration)

My vote is to keep this one in the CL as well. Imagine you don't have the
plasmoid anywhere, have hidden panel etc. and you want to quickly set your
presence. CL is the ideal place for that. Also Empathy has it there ;)

> - A list of current connection issues?
>  (again like Empathy which displays warning at the top of the list if
> anything failed to connect, then launching the accounts-kcm as appropriate)

Yes, we definitely need a way to let the user see the connection issues.
Empathy's way seems great. Although I'd move it down, again as Dolphin uses
it (and it fact the rest of KDE).

Marty