KDE Telepathy on its way to Extragear

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Dec 25 21:39:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Martin Klapetek
<martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Martin,

> the KDE Telepathy project is pleased to announce that it has matured enough
> to stand up and walk away from Playground. Today we moved several of our
> repositories (and renamed them in the process) into kdereview for inclusion
> in KDE Extragear. Namely:
>
>  - ktp-accounts-kcm
>  - ktp-approver
>  - ktp-auth-handler
>  - ktp-common-internals
>  - ktp-contact-applet
>  - ktp-contact-list
>  - ktp-filetransfer-handler
>  - ktp-kded-module
>  - ktp-presence-applet
>  - ktp-send-file
>  - ktp-text-ui
>
> This is the complete suite one needs to use Telepathy IM integrated into KDE
> Workspace. For those of you who haven't heard about Telepathy yet - it's a
> complete cross-desktop framework for instant messaging and VoIP
> communication, developed mainly by Collabora.
>
> KDE Telepathy team currently has 7 core developers with several 'season
> contributors' and few Collabora developers hanging around and giving
> advices. Project itself was started back in 2008 with very high increase in
> activity near the end of 2010 and then skyrocketing through 2011.
>
> We're very short of releasing third version (0.3), which is also first beta.
> We plan to introduce Nepomuk as main contact storage in the next release
> (June or July) and in the meantime we'll maintain 0.3 branch.

Please ensure you store the main copy of the data somewhere outside
Nepomuk. In a large number of user support scenarios, especially those
involving an inconsistent Akonadi, it is necessary to destroy the
Nepomuk database to ensure ghost entries do not cause problems.

If KDE Telepathy uses Nepomuk as it's primary store of contacts
information, it will make user support for other areas of KDE which
are still maturing much harder.

There are also a number of users who have Nepomuk disabled, or a
system where Nepomuk is broken (due to old configurations, corrupt
databases, and the like).

> Thanks for all the support and happy holidays!
> --
> Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer

Regards,
Ben Cooksley