Plasma Chat widget

George Brooke george+kde.telepathy at george-brooke.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 23:09:31 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 03 August 2011 21:49:00 Lasath Fernando wrote:
> > This sounds good, what I'd like would be to have a single plasmoid which
> > would add an icon (similar to the ones in your plan) for each
> > conversation which can be removed (say with a close button on the right
> > of where you have the pop-out button) when you've finished with it or
> > pinned into place to behave closer to your plan.
>
> I originally intended to have something like that, with the user's
> favourite contacts or active chats. I wanted to use the task manager
> or smooth-tasks widget, depending on how reusable their code was.
> But I decided to simplify things for the moment, and just build a
> widget that can handle a single chat (for the sake of making it
> doable). If I manage to pull it off and continue developing, I'll
> build the rest of it and keep what you said in mind.
Yes, something with a similar design to smooth-tasks was exactly what I had in
mind, however I seem to remember reading somewhere that the code for smooth-
tasks is not very maintainable.

>From saying that we'd like something similar to the taskmanager or smooth-
tasks, it occurred to me that rather than having the chat plasmoid as a
separate entity behaving in a similar way to the main taskmanager it would be
nice to have the plasmoid chat more-or-less dock with the taskmanager so that
(when focussed) they'd appear in the space where the thumbnail appears for
ordinary windows. Then if the chat was 'popped out' into the full window the
icon for it would still be in the same place but instead of showing the
plasmoid interface it would control the full window in the usual way.
I guess however that anything like this would properly be added to taskmanager
code (possible a new f.d.o spec so that it can be cross DE) then support added
to the chat UIs.

Anyway, sorry for the really long delay to replying, is (the progress so far
on) your basic plasmoid available from anywhere public yet? And would you say
that its ready for other people to test yet?

Thanks

GeorgeB