Consolidated Window for Voip+Video+Chat

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Aug 1 08:53:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Bogdan Bivolaru
<bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm not sure if this is the right time to bring this subject up, but
> from what I've read on
> https://gkiagia.wordpress.com/2010/09/20/what-is-telepathy-kde/ ,
> quote:
>
> <<* A chat window application. This will be a standalone application
> providing just the chat window. When a new chat starts, it will be
> auto-launched via D-Bus service activation and allow you to chat.
> * A VoIP call window application. This will again be a standalone
> application providing the call window, also auto-launched to handle
> calls. This is actually KCall, what I wrote in last year’s summer of
> code, but it won’t have the contact list and won’t be named “KCall”.>>
>
> I understand that voip+video will have a separate window from the chat window.
> Since there are 2 separate applications each will have its own window
> and it would be hard to integrate the two apps into a single window.
> Still, please consider if there is any way to have a single window to
> interact with a contact - perhaps have an option to integrate voip +
> video calls controls into the chat tab.
>
> Please let me know if you think this makes sense for Telepathy KDE
> Users and if it is possible.
>
> This is how it works in Yahoo Messenger
> http://www.google.ro/imgres?q=yahoo+messenger+video+chat , but AFAIK
> YM does not have tabbed chats so this may not make sense from a design
> POV for Telepathy KDE.
>
> So please let me know what you think about this design idea.

Quite possibly makes sense.

However, developing them separately makes our lives a lot easier. Once
the components are near completed mashing them together should be an
easy task.

The Text UI can already acts as a library that can be embedded into
other applications.