Plasma Chat widget

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Aug 1 08:51:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Lasath Fernando <kde at lasath.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Since replacing KNotify messages for incoming chats was put on hold
> till after the whole desktop summit thing, I'd like to get back to the
> original idea I wanted to make.

> Since I quite like chatting with people while I work, I find it
> obtrusive/annoying to have to switch to a separate window and then
> switch back to my work.
> I noticed however that gmail and facebook have tackled this problem
> quite well, so I kind of borrowed a solution from them.
>
> My proposal is this :
> A plasma widget that sits in a panel (One per contact, users can
> choose who they want) that pops up when clicked.
>
> Here is a mockup for the UI
> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1C3gCj8EuHgimdmAzqp4I-q7yWngYjac0Y2JV0zjNyfc/edit?hl=en_GB
> I modelled it a bit like the QuickAccess plasmoid. Would be nice if I
> could find it's source code as well.
>
> Now, about the Dataengine or QML Plugin it's going to use, how exactly
> do I go about building that?

Dario said that QML Plugin is the way to go. I want this plugin
anyway.. so that's all good.

You have a few tasks to work on:
1) learn QML + using QML in plasma
2) read this: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/qml-extending-tutorial-index.html
4) Have a try at making that plasmoid using 'fake data' (i.e just
hardcode some messages into a model all in QML)

We need some Qt C++ to do the following:
Act at a TextChannel observer
Populate messages into a model (one model per chat probably)
Make this all exportable to QML

I want to talk this last part through with some people at the DS. I
also want to see if the TpQt4-yell model is worth using at all.
Then I'll give you a hand creating it.