Plasma Chat widget

Lasath Fernando kde at lasath.org
Mon Aug 1 08:41:46 UTC 2011

Hey,

Since replacing KNotify messages for incoming chats was put on hold
till after the whole desktop summit thing, I'd like to get back to the
original idea I wanted to make.

Since I quite like chatting with people while I work, I find it
obtrusive/annoying to have to switch to a separate window and then
switch back to my work.
I noticed however that gmail and facebook have tackled this problem
quite well, so I kind of borrowed a solution from them.

My proposal is this :
A plasma widget that sits in a panel (One per contact, users can
choose who they want) that pops up when clicked.

Here is a mockup for the UI
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1C3gCj8EuHgimdmAzqp4I-q7yWngYjac0Y2JV0zjNyfc/edit?hl=en_GB
I modelled it a bit like the QuickAccess plasmoid. Would be nice if I
could find it's source code as well.

Now, about the Dataengine or QML Plugin it's going to use, how exactly
do I go about building that?

--
Cheers,
Lasath