KDE-Telepathy Meeting Minutes

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 10 21:55:15 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Today we had another KDE-Telepathy IRC meeting. The minutes for the
meeting follow. A full IRC log of the meeting can be seen at:
http://paste.kde.org/10272/

Dramatis personae:
* comawhite
* d_ed
* drf
* freinhard
* gkiagia
* grundleborg
* ivan|home
* lliehu
* LuHe
* mck182
* nwoki
* shadeslayer
* rgreinho

TpQt4 Yell Models
-----------------
These are Qt models developed upstream for accounts/contacts/etc which
we are using.
* Quite buggy, but we are writing fixes.
* Trying to merge back upstream, but the process is not yet perfect.
* Future procedure should be: For each distinct bug fixed, make a
separate branch. Then create a separate bug report on freedesktop.org
to notify upstream. This makes it easier to track and deal with
individual fixes.
* We should use a subclass of the Yell models to add KDE-specific
features. Don't put stuff in the view that should be in the model.

The Release
-----------
We want to make a pre-alpha release asap just to show we're really
doing something. Before the release, we need to deal with:
* Packaging guide (grundleborg & gkiagia)
* Contact List Groups (mck182 and boiko)
* Contact has Added You <Accept> <Reject> Functionality (drf)
* Removing contacts problems with non-Jabber CM (nwoki)
* Ship .profile files for now ourselves (d_ed)
* Accounts KCM Profile specific plugins (d_ed)
* Simple Adium them for Text UI (d_ed)
* Approver Respond button bug (gkiagia)
* Basic Plasma Applet needs to be cobbled together (drf)
* Dolphin plugin to select file and contact and call ensureFileTransfer (mck182)
* Channel Handler daemon to handle incoming/outgoing file transfers
(LuHe & d_ed)
* Approver FileTransfer Channel type support (gkiagia)
* Profile files to ship with the Accounts KCM (d_ed)
* Icons to ship with the Contact List for the first release, and also
check only the ones that aren't already in oxygen get put there (d_ed)
* Disconnecting on closing the Contact List needs further discussion
on the list (drf)

Tentative Release Date: End of May.

Decisions
---------
We also made a few decisions:
* Conference support in the Text UI is not a blocker for the first release
* The approver will be started as part of the KDE session, but there
will be a config option somewhere to disable it.
* Incoming contact requests do not belong in the approver, but in the
Nepomuk Service (or the Contact List for the first release, since
nepomuk service will not be part of it).
* Proper Plasma Applet will be done in QML using plasma KDE 4.7 stuff,
so we will need a quick-hack plasma applet to use the dataengine and
tide us over until KDE 4.7 is out.
* No library in this release, since there isn't much duplication yet
so it's not worth the effort. We'll have telepathy-kde in the next
release, so real library code can move there.

Nepomuk and the Future
----------------------
Nepomuk-Service is basically working - has quite a few features to
add. George will file bug reports for individual feature so others can
start hacking on it too. Library needs fundamental redesign in
conjunction with upstream Nepomuk changes. George is on this, but
nothing dramatic is likely to happen here for a few weeks yet. We will
review after the first release whether to have another one without
Nepomuk or not. Upstream Nepomuk are making major changes to improve
ontologies and performance for our particular use cases at the moment.

Cheers,

--
George