Telepathy Account KCM UI

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:51:15 CEST 2010

On 4 October 2010 20:35, Gustavo Boiko <gustavo.boiko at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Friday I was talking to Duncan and he was telling me some possible usability improvements on the account setup.
>
> His idea is that the user is only asked his login id and password and the plugins use some heuristic to determine which protocol the user is setting up. In case there is ambiguity, the user is presented the valid choices.

This is an interesting idea. I think it could be really cool, but only
if it works 99% of the time. You would need to do some further testing
to know for sure, but it immediately occurs to me that there would be
issues with, for example, any non-standard domain name (for example,
at least jabber, windows live, SIP and possibly others do not place
any restriction on what email address can be used for the "login ID"
parameter).

I would suggest that we stick to a more conventional approach to the
UI for now, but consider implementing this heuristic idea as an
alternative UI, and perhaps do some real-life research into whether
this new UI approach actually proves to be more helpful, rather than
going on the "hunches" of people like me ;)

--
George