Hello world!

George Kiagiadakis kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 10:59:03 CET 2010

2010/11/5 Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> my name is Martin Klapetek and I'm a college student doing a diploma thesis
> for Red Hat about instant communications in KDE and Fedora, part of which
> should be coding some stuff for kde-telepathy. Officialy I'm supposed to
> start from February, but of course I want to dive in as soon as possible
> (and I can't wait! :), but I'm still finishing some work on digiKam (few
> bigger tasks), which I'd like to finish first (about two-three weeks).
> But in the meantime, I'd like to get myself familiar as much as possible
> with current kde-telepathy. I've read the Telepathy specs on
> freedesktop.org, I've gone through http://community.kde.org/Telepathy and
> I'm also familiar with how to build the code. But to speed things up a
> little, could someone please give me some brief overview about the
> kde-telepathy design/architecture etc? Also, what would be the best place to
> start looking into the code?
> Thanks!
> Marty

My blog post may help you to understand the architecture:
https://gkiagia.wordpress.com/2010/09/20/what-is-telepathy-kde/

All the components I have listed there are independent from each other
and telepathy-mission-control, which serves as the channel dispatcher
and account manager, is the thing that makes them work together. So,
if I want to start a chat from the contact list for example, the
contact list sends a request to the channel dispatcher and the channel
dispatcher starts the text chat process using dbus service activation
and gives it the channel to handle. This is all about the architecture
I guess...

Regarding the code, there are several places that need work:
- The contact list needs to be implemented.
- The approver needs to be implemented (although that also needs some
telepathy spec additions that somebody, probably grundleborg or me,
needs to write too)
- The call UI needs to be implemented (not the core, just the graphical part)
- Somebody needs to investigate what to do about the logger (use the
existing telepathy-logger? write our own? something else?) and
implement whatever needs to be implemented to make it work.
- Something else that I don't remember now... :)

I hope I have answered your questions.

Regards,
George