Simon having trouble with Julius

Shantanu Tushar Jha shantanu at kde.org
Tue Jun 17 04:27:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:32 AM, Peter Grasch <peter at grasch.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:49:57 AM you wrote:
> > Yes, I had checked the box for adapted. The one I got was titled
> > "[EN/VF/JHTK] Voxforge"
> Ah. So you have the HTK installed?

Yep, from Ubuntu 14.04 packages. It worked quite good for a day ;)

> Adaption is always a bit tricky and the support in Simon isn't that great
> be honest. One thing that's missing, for example, is to ensure that the
> adaption set is sufficiently large for it to make sense to be used (where
> "sufficiently large" is really hard to judge programmatically), as adapting
> using a small data set usually produces fairly stupid models.

Ah ok, wasn't too stupid for me actually, I'd say 8/10 times it did what I
said ;)

> Still, that should never cause your model to not have a tiedlist (which is
> just copied from the base model).
> Could you check if "base.sbm" (in the same directory as active.sbm) has it?
> Just for the record: You didn't get an error dialog that said "Could not
> switch to new model.", right?

This is what I have-

shantanu at shaan-desktop:~$ find  . -name active.sbm
./.kde/share/apps/simon/model/active.sbm
./.kde/share/apps/simond/models/default/active/active.sbm

shantanu at shaan-desktop:~$ find  . -name base.sbm
./.kde/share/apps/simond/models/default/active/base.sbm

> How many adaption samples did you record?

I recorded all samples in Window Management twice, the Firefox one once.

> Btw, if you are just looking for the best possible recognition rate and are
> using a fairly small operating vocabulary (you probably will), I suggest
> you
> use either the un-adapted base model or a completely custom one (as
> gathering
> enough adaption data will mean that you could just as well create a model
> from
> scratch using that data that's usually better - again: for very limited
> domains). Then again, this all depends on your pronunciation, your
> microphone
> and, and, and - so YMMV.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter

Hmm, will keep that in mind, though if you want to debug further, I won't
reset it for now :)

--
Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com