Simon having trouble with Julius

Peter Grasch peter at grasch.net
Mon Jun 16 22:02:06 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:49:57 AM you wrote:
> Yes, I had checked the box for adapted. The one I got was titled
> "[EN/VF/JHTK] Voxforge"
Ah. So you have the HTK installed?

Adaption is always a bit tricky and the support in Simon isn't that great to
be honest. One thing that's missing, for example, is to ensure that the
adaption set is sufficiently large for it to make sense to be used (where
"sufficiently large" is really hard to judge programmatically), as adapting
using a small data set usually produces fairly stupid models.
Still, that should never cause your model to not have a tiedlist (which is
just copied from the base model).
Could you check if "base.sbm" (in the same directory as active.sbm) has it?
Just for the record: You didn't get an error dialog that said "Could not
switch to new model.", right?

How many adaption samples did you record?

Btw, if you are just looking for the best possible recognition rate and are
using a fairly small operating vocabulary (you probably will), I suggest you
use either the un-adapted base model or a completely custom one (as gathering
enough adaption data will mean that you could just as well create a model from
scratch using that data that's usually better - again: for very limited
domains). Then again, this all depends on your pronunciation, your microphone
and, and, and - so YMMV.

Best regards,
Peter