[KDE-Sonnet] dictionary service

Raul Fernandes rgfbr at yahoo.com.br
Sun Mar 4 02:07:26 CET 2007

Hi,

I´m developer of KTranslator. KTranslator is a
dictionary program that support a wide range of
dictionary types, like DICT (the file format for now,
not protocol), StarDict, Sdict, Babylon (the old
format -.dic- already done and the new -.bgl- in
progress), plain text dictionaries, Freedict (SVN
only), Atlantida (SVN only) and inicial support for
XDXF.

Sometime ago, I was thinking of converting the code
from KTranslator in a library to be used by other
programs. This way, the code could be improved and
shared among programs that only changes the GUI.

Recently, while reading about Sonnet, I think that it
is the right place where that library should be put.
What is better than a framework about linguistics??

So, I have some questions about the dictionary service
for Sonnet. What is the current state of development
for that dictionary service?? Is there any code
available?? Any design done?? Anyone working on it??
Can I help you on coding or planning??

If I can help, I´m very exciting about the idea of
having a central dictionary service for KDE4, that
supports a lot of different dictionary types and is
used by konqueror, kate, kwrite, koffice and others.
Imagine translating words inside okular. Great!! That
was the idea when I start coding KTranslator.

Regards

Raul Fernandes
rgfbr at yahoo.com.br