[kde-solaris] KDE 4.1.4 IPS packages for OSOL 2008.11

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Feb 17 13:49:57 CET 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009 09:10:17 pm Shawn Walker wrote:
> Michael Schuster wrote:
> > Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> >> There are KDE 4.1.4 IPS packages for OSOL 2008.11 32-bit available now.
> >> They're hosted on real hardware, not a dodgy VirtualBox, so you should
> >> be able to get them this time instead of timing out at each attempt. It
> >> *is* my home DSL, though, so downloads will not be fast.

They continue to update intermittently; I think it's safe to say that KDE
4.1.4 is the goal right now and once we can safely ship it (for some
definition of safe) for S10 and OSOL, *then* we will turn our attention to KDE
4.2 -- roughly as I described in earlier mail, because KDE 4.2 has some real
dependency issues on OSOL 2008.11.

> > - KDE's screen lock still can't unlock (sometimes can't even lock) the
> > screen, but as I said elsewhere, xlock does the job just as well for me.

This requires someone to get medieval on either kdesktop_lock or kcheckpass
and figure out where the communication is falling apart. Make sure there's a
bug filed for it; that makes planning much easier (and in the hypothetical
situation of Sun throwing some engineers at a problem, is a good starting
point for their work).

> > - I use two screens; when the mouse is in the second screen, I cannot get
> > a background menu with the right button, nor have I found a way to give
> > it non-black background (ie the same as on the primary screen). I can
> > move windows in to this screen quite easily though (I have an Nvidia
> > 9600GT).

Xinerama or multiple-screen support is sometihng that might only have happened
well in the KDE 4.2 timeframe. Again, not something I test at home, so it
needs bugs filed and some effort from elsewhere.

> I've tried it as well.  Seems to work alright, although for some bizarre
> reason, DNS resolution seems painfully slow in Konqueror.

Odd. Any chance of dtracing it?

--
Adriaan de Groot - Vice President, KDE e.V. (Legal Affairs)                 -
http://ev.kde.org/