[kde-solaris] Mailing list charters and KDE-Solaris projects

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue May 13 21:37:23 CEST 2008

OK, I'm putting on a semi-official hat here to smother some ongoing
discussions. Cross-posting to two lists to cover everyone.

There is an effort, somewhat organized, with Stefan Teleman, Lukas Oboril and
myself doing most of the heavy lifting (and a cast of dozens of supporting
characters), to make KDE4 available on Solaris. Let's call this
effort "KDE4-Solaris".

This project has a home page at http://opensolaris.org/os/project/kde/
This project has another home page at http://solaris.kde.org/
This project's charter summary is:
	Port KDE4 to Solaris S10U4 or later using Sun Studio 12

This charter was settled for the organizing group a little over a year ago.
There are technical reasons for having *this* charter and not a different
one. Some of those reasons have been mentioned on various
Solaris-and-KDE-related mailing lists recently. There is no special
sanctioned status for the KDE4-Solaris project except that it got here first.

There are efforts to port or maintain KDE3 for Solaris.

That project has no home page that I know of
That project used to have a homepage at http://solaris.kde.org/
I do not know that this effort is coordinated enough to have a charter

There are efforts to port KDE4 to Solaris with gcc.

That project has no home page that I know of
That project has a mailing list kde-solaris at kde.org
I do not know that this effort is coordinated enough to have a charter

In other words:

KDE4-Solaris -> this side of the fence (kde-discuss at opensolaris.org)
KDE3-Solaris or KDE4-gcc-Solaris -> that side (kde-solaris at kde.org)

--
Adriaan de Groot, vice-president, KDE e.V.
  http://ev.kde.org/