[kde-solaris] Gentle Question

Kunal Deo kunaldeo at gmail.com
Tue May 13 20:54:10 CEST 2008

Strongly agree with Stefan's point. Active community participation is very
important to any F/OSS project. At the same time the leaders in the
community should also welcome new contributions/ideas. Or at least a fair
view is crucial.

Kunal

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Mats Rojestal
> <mats.rojestal at bredband.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  There is coming  a very disturbing tone in this exchange of opinions.
>
> What is disturbing is this perception that anyone with a mailing-list
> subscription is somehow entitled to make online requests, which those
> of us who actually do the work are somehow required to abide by. And,
> if those of use who actually do the work dare not heed these requests,
> no matter how unwarranted they might be, then you are somehow entitled
> to start a litany of complaints.
>
> To make things clear: the amount of influence you may exert (or expect
> to exert) on a software project is directly proportional to the amount
> of contributions you make to said project. In other words, for a
> project in which you do not actively and directly participate, the
> amount of influence you should realistically expect is zero.  This is
> valid for any F/OSS project.
>
> If you want to have influence on a project, then you should start by
> establishing your credentials first. This means: actively
> contributing.
>
> Complaining that we don't do what you want is not a contribution.
>
> --Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Teleman
> KDE e.V.