[kde-solaris] Gentle Question

Michael Schuster Michael.Schuster at Sun.COM
Tue May 13 18:37:49 CEST 2008

S h i v wrote:

>>  well ... IMO, "porting" an app once and then knowing it's going to run for
>>  the foreseeable future, even if other applications around it are changing,
>>  is less of a hell than having to chase ever-newer compiler releases with
>>  the potential ABI changes they bring.
>>

> Port once and live happily for foreseeable future is a myth.

that wasn't what I said or meant.

> Software moves due to newer versions.

that's the case with either compiler, so it's not a point to the advantage
of either.

> Compiler moves due to compiler updates albeit much slowly.

this is where the problem with gcc lies: if you update a component *other*
than your app that your app interacts with, and use a newer version of gcc,
you run the risk of having to re-compile and -test your app (and everything
that interacts with the updated component), as the ABI may have changed.
You don't face this problem with Studio compilers.

> There are compelling arguments on both sides & I am for now in the gcc camp :)

that's obviously your choice ;-) good luck to you!

Michael
--
Michael Schuster        http://blogs.sun.com/recursion
Recursion, n.: see 'Recursion'